Prayer for the day

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

Amen.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

God in this world

God in this world. Today I want to explore one of my favorite things; Nature. I love Nature. Nothing makes me feel more at peace or closer to God than when I am out being a part of His glorious creation. I have a profound sense of how incredible God is and how perfect everything in His creation is.

I love to hike. As I wander through the forest, I see trees, flowers, birds... Each thing has it's purpose and is intermingled with all the other things. Birds need the trees for their nests, and twigs and leaves to make their nests. The trees need the birds to help spread the seeds. Everything is so perfectly tuned for survival. There is no way this is a random occurrence which occurred because of chance and coincidence.

I ponder the explanations given by science, how the universe was created because of a random chance which caused the "Big Bang" which then created this perfectly ordered universe. It is so far fetched to me. How can a random act create order? Randomness begets randomness? There is nothing to create order. Chaos does not become orderly because of a random occurrence. That is like me saying my children behave and have sense of morality because they just happened to think of it. They did not learn morality and etiquette because of chance, but because of persistence and an orderly process of education, religion and parenting. None of those things are random. Quite to the contrary, very deliberate and intentional.

The green leaves of the trees converting carbon dioxide to oxygen by using sunlight. Oxygen which I need to breathe. As I exhale I release carbon dioxide which is needed by the plants for conversion of sunlight to glucose. How perfect! An incredible symbiotic relationship that randomly occurred? Nitrogen in the soil binding to the microfilaments of roots and absorbed and converted to nutrition for the plant which is then consumed by the cow which absorbs the nitrogen and stores it in the blood and flesh which I then consume as a juicy rare steak. I absorb the nitrogen and utilize it as an essential mineral necessary for my health. All random?

Why is it that we all love the beauty of nature. For those of us who live in the cities and do not get out into nature much, we yearn for it. Why? Whether or not we acknowledge God as our creator, our souls do. Our souls recognize the beauty of creation and our creator, God.

I climb to the peak of the mountain and I survey the valleys, lakes and other mountain peaks. Sometimes I can see as far as another state if the view is clear enough. I am belittled at how all things are intermingled and intertwined and can not exist without eachother. The grass cling to the rocks and with water, sunlight and time the rock becomes soil which is utilized by the larger plants and the cycle continues until we have beautiful meadows filled with trees. The snow melts and becomes water, which is filtered and purified as it trickles through the rocks, making it so clean we can drink it. The water provides an environment for fish, which I then catch and eat. Nature is bountiful. God's love is bountiful. He created this universe in which our planet exists.

He created this incredible Earth which provides us with everything we could desire or need. His abundance and love for humanity is abundant. We as humanity have a duty to be stewards to this Earth. It is so upsetting when I see exploitation of the Earth. Food can be farmed and restoration of the soil can occur at the same time. Animal husbandry can occur while maintaining a humane environment for the animal. We can mine for gold, silver, copper... and still restore to the earth what we have taken away. If we do all things for financial profit only, the Earth (God) will not continue to give to humanity. Resources will be depleted. God has provided us with this Earth and He will continue to provide us with all the resources we need, as long as we are good stewards of this Earth. One must balance profit with conservation. Never has it been more apparent than it is now. We are struggling with an Earth that is being exploited for profit, for personal gain and very little conservation is occurring. Humans can exist with this Earth and we can continue to reap from the Earth whatever resources we need, but we must restore and conserve them. Otherwise, the Earth will not continue to supply us with our needs.

God's desire to have a relationship with us is evident. He provides for us, and has created this incredible Earth for us. It does not take very much extra effort on our part to show God how much we appreciate this Earth and demonstrate our appreciation with stewardship.

Peace of the Lord be with you,
Agape
Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment